Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 18 - the DAM thing

When I woke up today, the first thing that I saw was the concrete walls of the 3 gorges DAM. It was so close to our ship that, if you stretch, you could actually touch the concrete. Cool~








I woke up at about 6am, after hazel woke me up. I did my morning routine; I have also found the dead carcasses of the flies that I have heard so much about, on the ceiling of the toilet. -.- We were on time for breakfast today and we sat with the WUST staff for breakfast. The four of us didn’t eat much, as we had to clear the stocks that were left from the cruise. After breakfast, we returned the key to the counter and got back my RMB$20 deposit and went back to Meow lin and Eline’s room to eat the egg muffins that were left. YUMZ! After we waited for about 10 minutes, the ship docked at the port and it was goodbye “Golden Sun” (name of the ship).

Immediately when we left the ship, we had to climb a long stairway to get to the bus station to board the bus to go to the 3 gorges DAM. I am talking about the DAM that holds water and not the other similar word that is used to swear at someone =) The bus ride took about 1 hour of rocky roads and bumpy terrains before reaching the tourist site of the DAM.





The places that we have to visit are split into 3 main areas. The mini model building of the DAM with many monuments that signifies the importance of the DAM next will be the close – up of the DAM and lastly the park that is built to commemorate the completion of the DAM. Each location that we visited took 30 minutes, 10 minutes and 30 minutes respectively. The whole tour took about an hour and 10 minutes.

At the first location, the mini model of the various management of the DAM, the tour guide explained to us about the different usage of the DAM. The DAM is not really in use now, as it is the low tide season where there will be rarely any flooding. After, we passed the section of the mini models; we saw many different type of monuments outside. For instance, a large metal structure that looks like a book explaining how the DAM came about. We took many photos there till the tour guide told us that the 30 minutes of touring this section is up.





Next, we took the shuttle bus for about 5 minutes to the next location, the close – up view of the DAM. The tour guide told us that for this section of the tour, we can only stay for 10 minutes. =( So, we hurried and took many photos of the DAM and see if there is any souvenirs that we can buy for the people in Singapore. =) I saw a ink stamp that is made out of different types of stones and you can carve anything you want on it. It looks similar to the one that I already have and it is quite expensive (RMB40 = S$8), so I decided not to spend money on that =) Are you happy now, Evelyn Ng???



Lastly, we went to the commemoration park. The journey from the close – up tower to the commemoration park took about 10 minutes. On the drive, we passed a bridge that is claimed as one of Asia’s longest bridge. When we reached the park, I was awestricken by the beauty and size of the park. The park is filled with statures and modern day art pieces. After strolling through the park, we arrived at another store that sells local delights and craftsmanship. So, I decided to buy the local tea leaves for uncle Yamaha =) don’t worry fellow Singaporeans, I have not forgotten you! Your souvenirs will be bought at a later date~ =)



After touring the 3 gorges DAM, we headed off to lunch!!! Lunch had fatty pork meat (yumz), Dong Fen (double yumz) and seaweed soup (finally, no more egg and tomato!!!). After lunch, we are on the way back to Wu han!!! =) I slept on the bus for over 3 hours. I have sent my clothes for cleaning, and typing my blog entry now. =)

Reflection

Through this cruise, I have learnt so much more about the culture, geographical, economics and history of the ancient yet modernizing city of Yi Chang. Yi Chang is a city with a very rich culture background and famous political figures. It is considered one of the most developed cities in China, accompanied by a beautiful landscape. I have gained more knowledge about this city, which I have never known about before. Through this cruise, I have also gained in – depth knowledge about the life of the locals and the hardships that they have to go through. Thus making me re – think the way that I should get through each day in Singapore. I now know that I should appreciate the things and people that I have now, instead of thinking that they are disposable.

No comments:

Post a Comment